rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

How much about science can you learn from self-study

How much about science can you learn from self-study

I did a PhD in science (93-97). It was actually very easy compared to my Bachelors. All it took was a lot of work (60+ hour weeks) and the commitment to write up my findings, whereas a lot of my peers ended up getting highly paid jobs and never actually finished writing that thesis. Oh, and one exam at the end (the viva).

Bear in mind that back then I needed access to world class libraries, whereas now there's so much online. So it's much easier to do your own research.

As to studying - was it worth it?

Financially no. I did get a good sponsorship so broke even during the 3.5 years it took to do my PhD. It has added little to my value in the jobs market, but 70% of interviewers do like to ask me about it. Compare that with roughly 0% who ask me about my English teaching CELTA qualification!

Socially, well postgrads are worshipped by undergrads but I was way too beta at the time to capitalise on that.

Messages In This Thread