rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

How much about science can you learn from self-study

How much about science can you learn from self-study

How much time and effort do you want to invest?
Before you can really understand fancy applications, or even basic phenomena, you will have to build a big and boring but necessary foundation.

If you are interested in physics, electromagnetics, electricity, mechanics,… you need a strong background in calculus and algebra.

If you are interested in biochemistry or medicine, you need a strong background in basic chemistry and biology.

Are you motivated enough to study these subjects on your own? Because, depending on your background and your available time, it will take weeks, months or years before you have built the necessary foundation.
I hold a bachelor and master degree in electrical engineering. The first two years of my studies were very heavy in math. I know for sure that I would have abandoned the subject if it were not part of a formal education and the only thing I needed to be concerned with.

Also, I think that you can perfectly understand all subjects through self-study but if you want to become a practicing scientist you absolutely need lab experience. You only get to know the measurement equipment, the measurement techniques and the practical problems that arise in real life (theory always makes assumptions to simplify the physical reality) through hands-on experience.

Messages In This Thread