rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Location Independence Journey: My Five Year Plan

Location Independence Journey: My Five Year Plan

Quote: (03-26-2016 01:22 AM)CleanSlate Wrote:  

Thoughts on Location Independence in the Closing Days of My Thailand Trip

However, I do feel I need to temper my expectations for when I actually go location independent this summer.

At a couple points during my trip, I had doubts whether I’m cut out for this location independence lifestyle. I think it was this awkward, but temporary, transition phase when you stay in a new city for an extended time; the difficult period that starts after the novelty wears off, but before you really start hitting your stride. That was when I longed to be back home, despite all the faults the West has.

For example, I was spending money at an alarming rate that cannot be sustainable on a starter’s location independent income. I need to learn how to spend like a local around here. Start eating more street food. Avoid tourist traps with restaurants charging first world prices. Learn how to avoid getting ripped off by taxis. Getting a girl to translate and negotiate for me if there’s a language barrier. Get skilled at hunting bargains for hotels and apartments on the ground to complement online searches. Look into 2nd or 3rd tier cities like Chiang Mai to save on rent.

I think you should not be to critical with yourself here. You knew that this trip was a holiday with some work mixed in. So your mindset from the start was different. Once you don't have a full time job anymore and you know that you need to work to make money your mindset will change.

I learned during my time being location independent that I need to stay in a city no less than three months. You know the cities where you want to go already. I did not in most of the cases. So this is already a big advantage. The reason why I have the three months rule are the following:

- Three months give you enough time to discover the nightlife from Thursday till Saturday. It is enough time to hit all major clubs and bars in smaller to medium sized cities. You can get work done between Monday and Thursday and only spend money for food and nothing else on these days. Of course maybe a date or two during the week.

- I can get into my daily routine. Hit the gym - do the work - go to bed early

- Costant travelling is a huge distraction. To move from one place to another costs you at least two days a week where you could get work done. You need to pack your luggage, get to the airport, find the new place where you gonna stay etc. If you do this too often it gets very tiring and will impact your productivity. The most successful location independent people I met were the ones who were staying at the same place for more than two months.

Anyways just my two cents on that one point your mentioned. Hope it helps.

Messages In This Thread