rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Propranalol and other drugs for SA/AA

Propranalol and other drugs for SA/AA

I sympathize with you guys because I'm in the same boat with the anxiety issues. I've had them in one form or another ever since I was a kid. I also know exactly what you mean about being confident, yet still suffering from anxiety. I'm a naturally confident guy, yet my body sometimes responds to minor issues in an extreme way. A situation that would cause a bit of nervousness for most people might trigger my body's fight or flight response (conversely, I seem to do well when there is some sort of actual threat...go figure). It's a real bitch when, intellectually, you know that the feelings aren't warranted, but you continue to feel them anyway.

As for drugs, I don't know much about beta blockers, but I would definitely caution against going the benzo route. I can tell you from personal experience that it is extremely easy to develop a dependence on them, and trying to come off when you are addicted is horrible. If you do end up using them, I would do so very sparingly, and only in situations that provoke extreme anxiety. I would not use them for every day, general anxiety. You'd be better off making lifestyle changes to lower your overall stress. SSRIs did nothing for me, and often come with a bunch of negative side effects (loss of libido, apathy, etc.)

It sounds like beta blockers work, at least with the physical symptoms (which should alleviate some of the mental symptoms), so why not just stick with those?

Also, I think that the best non-drug solution to overcome it is through exposure and working through the issues themselves. No, I'm not just saying that you need to "man up" (trust me, I know how difficult the situation is). I've been delving into cognitive behavioral therapy lately, and so far I can see how it might be beneficial. It helps you to discover the cognitive distortions that are the root causes of your issues. Then you can deal with those ideas or beliefs, which will in turn lessen your anxiety. Might be another tool that's worth looking into, although it probably won't be a quick fix.

Messages In This Thread