rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Selena Gomez = The anti-feminist

Selena Gomez = The anti-feminist

Quote: (09-17-2015 03:40 PM)UroboricForms Wrote:  

I bet the song was still written, arranged, and produced by a man or team of men. They always are with these female "artists".

Still. WB.

It was, in fact, written by two men along with one woman. But still the fact that they chose this message to go with says something. So I think the original poster has a point here.

In the past, we've had men write a lot of other songs for women -- but these were female empowerment anthems or odes to narcissism like "Single Ladies," "What a Girl Wants," "Genie in a Bottle," "According to You," "If You Had My Love," "Mr. Know It All," and a bunch of others I'd rather not even look up.

This trend was so prevalent that by 2011, the TODAY/MSNBC Web site ran an article knocking it. It was titled: "Hey Ladies! Want a Hit Song? Bash a Man!" and it caused at least one feminist writer to practically have seizures.

So if pop's message is changing that says something - whether it's being brought to us by men or not.

Interesting sidenote:

The guy who was behind "Genie in a Bottle," Steve Kipner, also wrote the old psychedelic pop hit "Toast and Marmalade for Tea" (#20 in 1970) and Olivia Newton John's overtly sexual #1 hit "Physical" (1981).

Listening to all three of these songs in chronological order gives us a disturbing commentary on how relations between men and women changed from 1970-2000. We went from poetic romance to women being in-your-face and demanding. You'd think as society became more civilized and less brutal, pop music would become less aggressive and sweeter. But the opposite has happened. Why?

Messages In This Thread