rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The Decline of Society is mainly due to Technology

The Decline of Society is mainly due to Technology

I've referenced Desmond Morris's 'The Naked Ape' in a similar thread. Cut/paste and additions here as it's relevant.

His observations of the human race from a strictly zoological view were cutting edge back in the 60s. It's interesting to see how he links evolutionary advances from past millennia to how we behave today (in essence we have not evolved anywhere near as fast as our technological/societal gains). It's even more interesting to pick up where he left off, and ponder how the modern technology that he could not have dreamed of when he wrote this book is impacting upon us as race.

Quote:The Naked Ape', Desmond Morris Wrote:

Fear has been expressed that the widespread use of perfected contraceptives will lead to random promiscuity, but this is most unlikely- the powerful pair-formation tendancy of the species will see to that.

What the hell would he have to say about Tinder? [Image: banana.gif]

Another interesting hypothesis is that we evolved to live in small community groups. Elsewhere in the book he asks if the growing size of cities and greater volume of communication would leave to more violence. Don't forget, the internet as we know it wasn't even being considered back then.

I'm a first generation interenet user, I remember it when it was in it's infancy (dial up, AOL and the Anarchist Cookbook). I use it in moderation. I wonder what being constantly saturated almost from birth will do to the next generation.

They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety- Benjamin Franklin, as if you didn't know...

Messages In This Thread