rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

"#PlusIsEqual"

"#PlusIsEqual"

Quote: (09-11-2015 09:40 PM)komatiite Wrote:  

Fuck this. Fuck this forever. Take a look at the video description from the link in the OP:
Quote:Quote:

In a chic black-and-white commercial, models Elly Mayday, Ashley Graham, Victoria Lee, Justine Legault, Candice Huffine and other women of all shapes and sizes show off their curves in Lane Bryant lingerie. They discuss how it's time that real, fashion-forward women deserve to be celebrated as they strut their stuff.

Models. MODELS.

[Image: Ap8zBTQ.jpg]

I don't want to slam the ad too hard. We are making progress against so-called International Leaders in Fat Shaming (ie, 'Doosh V'). But using models sets an unrealistic standard for beauty that makes young fat girls lose their confidence. These women in the commercial are the upper echelon in Western society when it comes to attractiveness. How can you compare these models with unattainable genetic gifts to the regular modern American woman? Let's do a thought experiment. Imagine you are a young girl with curves living in North Carolina. As you are unwinding after a long day of work in your cubicle by enjoying some sweet, sticky all-you-can-eat gluten free Baby Back Ribs at the local Golden Corral Buffet, you look up to the TV and see this advertisement. Sure, the #PlusIsEqual hashtag inspires some confidence, but that would be quickly quashed when you see the beautiful Cover-Girls promoting the message. A tragic story that is all too common in today's society that only cares about a woman's appearance, not what's on the inside.

That's why I personally believe that the most powerful hashtag movement of the last 100 years was when Dr Oz proclaimed to the world that you can be healthy at ANY weight. And the most important thing is that Dr Oz didn't feel the need to bring on the future wave of Sports Illustrated Models on to promote it - he got the message across with beautiful everyday women. That's why I'm #OzBodyPositive and not #PlusIsEqual!

[Image: hxfBtjR.jpg]

Is this satire?

Any doctor who says the phrase "You can be healthy at any weight" should have his license revoked. That's like saying "You can be healthy on any drug" or "It's safe to drive at any speed."

As a society, we have gotten so far removed from reality that we now have doctors saying it's OK to be obese. Heroin users are more honest with themselves.

(I need to qualify that last sentence. I had an ex who became a junkie and hung around some of these people. Me: "Why do you use heroin?" Them: "It's the best feeling in the world!" Gotta give them points for honesty.)

Messages In This Thread