rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Fastest way to get out of USA with programming and math skills?

Fastest way to get out of USA with programming and math skills?

Quote: (09-08-2015 11:12 PM)boss13 Wrote:  

oh yeah, I forgot about remote jobs. I thought it would be hard for entry-level candidates to get them, since we need in-person mentoring. Since I figure it would be much tougher to get an entry-level remote job than a non-remote one, would I still have to get several years experience before I would be taken seriously for remote roles?

Check the listings... I have seen more than a few recently that were entry level oriented. Obviously prior experience is nice but it's not always the determining factor, so don't let it get you down. Profile the companies that look interesting and don't be afraid to reach out to them to discuss future opportunities or what they look for in their employees. Get your LinkedIn game up to speed if not already.

As mentioned, show that you actually have some marketable skills by doing some mini projects or getting your feet wet with other tech (check out Codecademy for some fun basic stuff)

There are also lots of tech-oriented customer service type jobs which I wouldn't turn my nose up at as a way to get in the door, especially if the company has projects you are interested working in longer term, or they see you as someone who has a bright future.

To me, working remote is liking making an extra $20-30k per year, you just get paid in flexibility and time savings. No bullsh*t commuting, less bullsh*t office politics, less drain on your wallet overall if you aren't in a bigger city that is hungry for your hard earned dollars.

This is a moot point if you aren't a 'self-starter', 'manager of one', and require constant hand holding, etc.

What you want takes some outside the box thinking and going out on a limb. Start hustling and see what happens.

I worked full time for 7 years before I made the move to full-remote, and it was the best thing that ever happened to me. It can definitely be done in a shorter time frame though, if that is your primary objective.

Messages In This Thread