rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Fastest way to get out of USA with programming and math skills?

Fastest way to get out of USA with programming and math skills?

Quote: (09-08-2015 08:10 PM)Brodiaga Wrote:  

Get a full time job in the US first, then see if you can either get transferred abroad or find a similar gig with a different company or work as a freelancer.

but I've heard expat packages are declining and even if I could get transferred abroad, it would take at least several years of working with the same company. I'd rather not wait that long to go abroad

Quote: (09-08-2015 08:35 PM)CleanSlate Wrote:  

You're young enough to sacrifice a few years in building skills and experience that people would be willing to pay you for your remote work.

But you have to be willing to make that sacrifice.

Quote: (09-08-2015 09:45 PM)mack10 Wrote:  

wfh.io
weworkremotely.com
authenticjobs.com | remote option
stack exchange careers | check remote only

There are some companies willing to hire people not solely based on past work experience, rarer yes but they are out there. You will find orgs that are remote-culture focused tend to think outside the box a bit with regards to talent acquisition. Just keep on honing your skills, add new ones and try to adapt to the market needs. Do some small projects on your own to show your competency, give people something to look at. There are tons of programming opportunities out there and there are lots of orgs embracing working remotely who don't care where you are living. Bank some coin and experience, then look at your options.

oh yeah, I forgot about remote jobs. I thought it would be hard for entry-level candidates to get them, since we need in-person mentoring. Since I figure it would be much tougher to get an entry-level remote job than a non-remote one, would I still have to get several years experience before I would be taken seriously for remote roles?

Quote: (09-08-2015 10:39 PM)PolymathGuru Wrote:  

You can always advance your advance your C++ skills further. It is a well guarded programming language few people know how to use. It is one of the few languages that gives you the power to squeeze a lot of power out of the hardware.

However, if you know C++, you should be able to pick up Javascript/HTML/CSS/PHP in a snap. I would guess 6 months.

But I've seen few C++ freelancing opportunities (and not even that many jobs, other than in finance), and the ones I have seen seem to require someone with alot more experience than what I currently have

Messages In This Thread