rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Possible relocation from Paris to London

Possible relocation from Paris to London

I was born and raised in Paris, and I've studied and been working in London for more than a year, so I can provide some good insight.

I agree with a lot of what has been said before. Kaeru's comments are especially spot on.

To answer your questions:

1/ It takes 5 years of work to become UK citizen.

2/ Yes there's a lot of political correctness in the UK and it is annoying. But to be honest I've learned to ignore it and it doesn't bother me too much anymore. The French mainstream ideas and thoughts are more annoying to me. In France, success is frowned upon, leftist ideologies are idealized, etc.

3/ As Kaeru described very well, French girls are undoubtedly prettier than the fat witch-faced British girls. But French and especially Parisian girls are pretentious, close-minded, and getting a ONS with a quality girl in Paris is close to impossible. It is not in the culture.

4/ London is much better for work opportunities and career in general than France. France is an elitist, network-based society where it is hard to break in if you didn't go to the right school, if you don't belong to the right circle. Hard to break in as an outsider. On top of that, French law makes it very hard to get a fulltime job, because the standard fulltime contract, the "CDI", offers so much protection that employers are very reluctant to give you one. Once you got one you have high job security though.
The pay is also a lot higher in London. Yes, living costs are higher there, but it's still better.

I will add a few additional comments:

-London is overall safer than Paris. There are so many sketchy areas in Paris, and many very central parts of Paris are unsafe. The people are also friendlier in London.

-The metro works better in London. In Paris there are strikes regularly, and if you live far from work it is a pain.

-London is a growing, cosmopolitan and multicultural city, whereas Paris is still a very "French" city. You can make friends from anywhere in London, and if you like girls from a particular ethnicity, you can be sure to find some in London, not so in Paris.

-The food and weather are much better in Paris. Even the quality of the products you find your supermarket is much higher in Paris.

Overall, if you have career ambitions, want to live in a fast-paced, multicultural city, and can afford the lifestyle then London is the city where you want to be.

If you can deal with the French attitude (I'm French and I can't), food and weather are important to you, you value holiday over work, Paris is a good choice.

Messages In This Thread