rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Do guys prefer self-help or to hire the skills of a professional / “expert”?

Do guys prefer self-help or to hire the skills of a professional / “expert”?

Quote: (09-14-2015 04:10 AM)CrashBangWallop Wrote:  

Quote: (09-14-2015 03:55 AM)The Beast1 Wrote:  

A man should know how to do basic car repair, fix his computer, and be savvy enough around basic tools. It's hilarious seeing how many clueless folks there are.

Why though and to what extent?

I don't care how my computer works. I certainly am not going to spend days/weeks learning about it on the off chance it goes wrong and I have to fix it.

Do I have to retrain myself every few years for the changes in technology? I've had my Macbook for 4 years and not a single thing has gone wrong with it.

Training myself to repair it would just be a complete waste of time I could spend doing other things that either actually interest me or could make me money.

My car is massively complicated and always under warranty. Aside from changing a tyre at the roadside, what benefit is there to me to learn anything about it whatsoever? If something goes wrong, the assist folk will be there within an hour. I'd rather gamble that hour of my life that might happen for the hours learning how it works.

Basic tools yeah, putting a screw in a wall or something, sure. Anything more complicated? No thanks. My time is worth more than a random handy man's so it makes no sense to swap my labour for his economically.

I think that there are NO absolutes, here, and each guy has to make his own weighing of the trade offs and what works for him, under his circumstances.

One good point, however, with anything in life, is that there is a certain quantity of learning that comes through experiencing a situation or at least doing some of a job in order to sometimes understand if you are being taken to the cleaners or whether you can sufficiently guide someone else in any task. Other times, guys may NOT need to know any of the technicals of how to do some project, so long as people performing work for them are sufficiently competent to carry out the technical tasks.

Messages In This Thread