rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

When a 16-Year-Old Is Locked Up in a Supermax Prison

When a 16-Year-Old Is Locked Up in a Supermax Prison

Quote: (08-30-2015 01:09 AM)VincentVinturi Wrote:  

To me, the fact that we incarcerate people for decades in these horrible prison systems, send prisoners to die, and prosecute minors as adults, are proofs of our inhumanity to one another.

I sympathize with this emotion, but how is feeling that way going to help you or anyone?

If you seek out "proof" of our inhumanity, I have no doubt that you'll find it, but this phrasing suggests it is going deeper than just observing an injustice in the world. There is also plenty of proof in the world of the gentler, more compassionate side of our nature. I personally witness it on a daily basis - in fact, I'd wager you can find evidence of it even in supermax prisons.

Humans, and therefore the world, are far from infallible, but we won't find our solutions by demonizing each other or ourselves. This paradigm (the idea that humans are largely malicious by nature) is ironically a significant source of the problem you're highlighting to begin with.

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

Messages In This Thread