rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Organizing an RVF Book Club

Organizing an RVF Book Club

I wanted to post my opinion on Thucydides here, since I think Sonsowey is wanting this book to be the first in the series.

With regard to Thucydides, the most complete and scholarly translations are those done by the Loeb Library. They have the original Greek on one page, and the translation on the other. Also they have great introductions, indexes, and textual info.

But the big problem is price. They are simply out of range for most of the young guys. I think the Loeb edition on Thucydides is 3 or 4 volumes, and each one retails at about $26 each. But you can get them used for a lot less on Amazon. A true scholar will never skimp on books, but you do have to weigh different factors into consideration.

So, having said that, I think that the Penguin editions are great for the general reader. I use them myself. Inexpensive, great quality, and good editing and commentary essays. Penguin is a great series, and I think for most people this is the best option.

In recent years, the "Landmark Thucydides" has been very, very impressive. This series integrates maps and military analyses with the text to give the reader a real visual sense of what is going on. It's a whole different experience. If you like maps and additional historical info, this might be worth looking into. For me, I prefer Penguin, but to each his own.

Messages In This Thread