rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Dealing with culture shock and the rage that ensues?

Dealing with culture shock and the rage that ensues?

I'm finding a few factors here to be aggravating.

The maturity level of the women here is astoundingly low. I feel like I'm dealing with teenagers but I'm making the proper adjustments to my game to compensate. I'm learning to keep my expectations in check because I've been here 3 months going on 4 so it is what it is.

Truthfully, the only time the language barrier bothers me is when I'm talking to girls, otherwise I don't particularly care. I have some local friends So I don't mean to give you the impression that I'm sitting in my apartment depressed and doing nothing. Last night, the owner of my local cafe served me free beer and dinner just because she likes me so much. I'm being serious. The clerk at the cafe just sent me a text telling me I left a few items at the shop and that he will store them for me until I'm able to pick them up. This leads me to my next point.

The people here are unusually nice in some ways and total assholes in other ways. I'm experience major cognitive dissonance because I feel like there is a real tradition of generosity and friendliness that's disarming but on the other hand a huge portion of the population act like debased animals: they spit everywhere, shit everywhere, smoke everywhere and generally don't give a fuck about anything or anyone but themselves. There is a real sense of greed and gluttony here that I have never seen before. People will fuck you over for the smallest shit. It's so shortsighted.

I'm having a really hard time reconciling this behavior with how generous the people can be at the same time. I generally chalk it up to people being people but somedays I'm like "fuck all these guys."

I can't afford the gym right now and may actually not get a gym membership because in china they want you to pay 1 year upfront and that is cost prohibitive for me, especially since I'm only teaching here for one year. I've been going to the park and doing sprints, dips, pull ups, chin ups, squats and other things about three days a week. I may start doing more days of exercise once I'm better acclimated to china. I will say that exercising outdoors is fun as hell.

I was talking with jetlagged about my experiences. He and I talk a fair bit. He thinks I need to chill out and find a hobby or two in my spare time. Another expat who had been here for 5 years told me to find something about china that I enjoy and immerse myself In that while avoiding the other shit.

I've been finding it hard to make consistent friendships with other expats because my schedule had me working full 8 hour days on the weekends so I've been spending a fair bit of my free time alone but I have been studying more Chinese so everything works in that regard.

Robreke, good advice. Not sure how applicable it is to being in china, but I will keep it I'm mind.

As far as the ladies go, it can be a little frustrating but I'm working on keeping shit in perspective. I've gotten 1.5 bangs since June. Not bad for a guy who doesn't speak chinese. I'll be exploring the night environment in nanshan soon too. The major night gsme area is too far from me. About 40 minutes by taxi but There is a solid night game area called sea world that i haven't had the opportunity to visit much since getting here. It is only a few metro exits away though so at I rides back won't be as bad.

I will be checking my PMs weekly, so you can catch me there. I will not be posting.

Messages In This Thread