rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Wife Hunting Abroad

Wife Hunting Abroad

Quote: (07-23-2016 05:38 PM)Saga Wrote:  

If you've stayed long enough in the Caucasus to know, what is the level of social integration (building a circle of local friends and acquaintances, being accepted) that a foreigner can expect to achieve (especially after becoming intermediate in the local language and establishing LTR with a local woman)? Are Georgia and Armenia more or less accepting in this regard than most of eastern Europe?

I ask because even in western Europe, especially Germanic and Scandinavian countries, I've noticed that it seems quite difficult for foreign men to find their way fully into a local social circle. Of course, knowing the language helps a lot, as does marrying a local woman, but even then, the status of being Auslander can still linger and have its effects. At least from a distance, it doesn't appear that eastern European societies are all that different. I'd be very interested from anyone who's spent time in eastern Europe, the Balkans and/or the Caucasus, as to how this dynamic plays out in those regions. Of course expatriation to a new culture is never easy or simple, and no one should expect to be greeted with a parade, but it's important to think about the long-term prospects of assimilating into a culture and society.

It's funny you mention that. I cannot answer questions above regarding those areas...but I will say..

In Brazil, it was much better for me to say that I'm from Asia opposed to the US.

There will be many nice receptive people wanting to practice their English with you & you might be included in many circles...but it was still safer to say "from (insert Asian country)."

If people called me out on my mannerisms and way I spoke English, I just mentioned having relatives in US/Canada and doing some schooling there as well.

Again why do you ask? It's rare..but there were times when people would try to cockblock if saying "from US" even though I spoke fluent Portuguese. There is also the situation of "why is this guy here if he's from the US..he won't be able to relate to us" etc etc. There would also be a bit of snarky attitude from local women due to their insecurity of people from perceived "richer western cultures."

My Portuguese teacher was born in the US, but her family moved to Riofrom age 7-18 so she completed quite a bit of schooling there until college where she finished that back state side. When trying to move back to Brazil, she was treated very well in Rio as a tall blonde speaking Portuguese with rich local men wanting to court her. However, she was perceived as just being a "rich American" so didn't get included into many social circles despite completing high school in Brazil aware of the social language, culture, etc etc.

I lost quite a few women telling chicks I was from the US in Curitiba. However, there's quite a bit of respect for Asian people there despite the reputation of being cold to strangers so I always got invited out to events, etc etc. If I ran into girls upon 2nd/3rd meetings, I'd tell them "oh yeah from Asia originally but just did some schooling in the US. Now I live here in Brazil & am accustomed to seeing many things & changes" Upon hearing that, gals became a lot more comfortable with me.

I've heard great things about Western & American men living in São Paulo while banging hot chicks & entering great circles. Same can be said for Belo Horizonte/Porto Alegre which are much friendlier places than Sampa. In Curitiba however, it was best to say "from Asia" for me at least because I didn't want to be perceived as another westerner looking for just quick thrills. Many people wanted to know which type of Asian I was too so I just flat out gave them the answer they wanted being my ethnicity opposed to true nationality.

One of my Black American friends did quite well in Curitiba however. His angle was doing corporate English-Portuguese translations, but also played the whole "lived in different parts of the world" strategy as well...(which wasn't a lie).

I'd say its about building a different type of comfort with women in Brazil because they do not want to be perceived "as easy" to foreign men. In my situation, it was much more favorable being viewed as a non-threatening guy from Asia regarding the infiltration of social circles.

Messages In This Thread