rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Gaming in a foreign language: a double edged sword?

Gaming in a foreign language: a double edged sword?

Quote: (08-11-2015 05:11 AM)H1N1 Wrote:  

Quote: (08-10-2015 10:15 PM)Agreddor Wrote:  

Quote: (08-10-2015 06:11 AM)H1N1 Wrote:  

Personally I think it is a huge advantage. I speak a few languages, one of which is Russian. I've had some success with Russian girls, out in Russia. Being able to speak to them in their own language will impress them, and allow you to build some raport. If you can be funny and charming for a bit, you can then start teasing them about how they are just using you to get their hands on citizenship, and how you've seen a pretty girl who looked just like her on a Russian brides website so you won't fall for it. Once they are showing all the signs of interest you only have to tell them 'everyone says Russian girls are so cold', and they leap at the chance to show you it's not true (assuming up to that point you've been engaging and attractive).

Russian men tend (not all of them, obviously), to be rather blunt creatures, and it is rare for Russian girls to find guys who are charming (in Russia), so it can be a particularly potent weapon.

How often does this get lost in translation though? I.e something you try to translate from english to russian makes sense in english but makes no sense at all in russian.

Interesting. Transferring your "personality" to a different language.

I suppose, to be honest, that depends entirely on how good your language skills are. I studied Russian intensively for 5 years, lived with Russian families in Russia for two of my Summer holidays (they didn't speak English), worked for a law firm in Moscow for a couple of months, and have read most of the great works of Russian literature in the original Russian. Making small talk with pretty girls is a relatively simple matter by comparison, especially if you're smiling, laughing, touching and teasing her anyway.

Even when I've got things wrong in foreign languages (I find that Chinese is comparatively more difficult to be amusing and charming in because the culture is so different), generally as long as I've been congruent in presenting myself as enjoying speaking the language and trying to have fun with it, girls tend to grab you and correct you and laugh with you. If you present yourself as an attractive, engaging guy, and you can speak her language, she wants you to succeed, and will help you out.

And like any other girl, if she isn't interested she'll make it abundantly clear, and no amount of perfectly translated witticisms will make a difference.

Yes youre right. I speak chinese and several chinese dialects on a native level. The problem is, although I speak it like a native, I dont think like your typical chinese person. English is my strongest language so I have to think in English and verbalise my thoughts in Mandarin, when I communicate with other Chinese people.

I usually say stupid shit, like Im looking for my father, he's missing I've called the police and I cant find him, have you seen him?

The problem with Mandarin is that its hard to be ironic, and people who only speak chinse find irony strange.

Back on topic. I disagree and agree with you on this point.

Some girls go from totally disinterested to interested when they find out you speak their language. i.e They'll start speaking to you in their native language.

We can all agree that we will be intrigued by any foreigner, man or woman speaking our native language (Except english, because everyone speaks english of course.)

I think that the best way to test if a girl is truly interested in you is to stop speaking in their native tongue and switch to English while sexualising the conversation of course.

Sexualising the conversation might prove challenging with limited vocabulary in her language.

Messages In This Thread