rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

choosing location for long term/retirement

choosing location for long term/retirement

Funny you mention Gibraltar since I was born and raised there till I was 18.

It's a great place to raise a family but there are issues, I'll give you pros and cons:

Pros:
1. Seasonal weather, rarely gets colder than 10 degrees in the winter and warm summers over 30 degrees.
2. English speaking, we speak Spanish as well but English is our first language .
3. Good community of people that looks out for each other, with a good educational system to boot (they currently cover locals student loans when we go to university).
4. Conservative mentality, no feminism, raised catholics, so generally people are friendly and the girls are stunning (I've always rated the girls there really highly in terms of looks, however they can be abit over entitled at times).

Cons:
1. Population of 30,000. That's nothing. After living there a year you will know so many people that walking down the street will end up in a handful of conversations alone. Your mistakes will follow you so its easy to build a bad reputation, don't fuck up.

2. The system is built heavily around looking after locals, foreigners have a hard time getting jobs outside of English owned companies and you won't be eligible to apply for affordable housing and various educational benefits such as the aforementioned cover of student loans .

3. High rent and housing is in a shortage. If you move there you will have to rent or buy a place in Spain near the border almost guarenteed. Generally a studio apartment itself is near 1k in rent a month (no joke). A shared house will still be around 700-800 pounds a month.

4. Life is boring there, there is a reason I never moved back. There isn't a lot of infrastructure for niche to slightly popular hobbies and sports. It's mainly stuff like football, basketball, rowing, running, climbing and racket sports.

If you want to know more pm me.

Messages In This Thread