rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Personal and Professional Advice

Personal and Professional Advice

Hi fellow forum mates!!! I apologise in advance for this long post. I am a corporate lawyer, by profession, aged 27. Lately, I have been taking stock of my life and have concluded that I have not managed to get out of myself anything near what I should have at my age and my chief worries are as follows:
1.My parents are growing old(father in mid 60s and mother in early 60s) and the thought of them gone tears me up. I do not know how I am going to remain emotionally stable, once they are gone. On top of that, I have no doubt been a bad son to them. While I live in a separate city from where they do, it is not very far and I visit them often enough.
2.I am not doing well professionally as I should be. I have a hysterical lady boss, who starts screaming if there is slight deviation from her plan, which is very difficult to determine. Sometimes, I wonder if I will end up getting fired.
3.Because of problems stated in no.2, I am obviously looking for other jobs. I have not got many other offers, to be honest. While I have graduated out of one of the best law schools in India, my academic record in college was somewhere in between(say in the early 40s in a class of 100). This may sound like an excuse but the real reason was that I did not adjust to law school life early on in my and scored lower marks in social science subjects(complete with feminism crap) and I was mostly in the top tier of class in corporate laws. Well, coming back to the issue, the job offers that I get are in general, in another city where the cost of living is 1.25x the cost of living in the city that I stay in and yet the kind of salaries that I get offered are 1.2x the current salaries. Further, the other city is far and I would not be able to see my parents as often as I do currently. However, I am being advised that if I worry too much about getting fired, I should may be explore opportunities in that other city, while I think I would not really be very happy there.
All of the above is affecting the clarity of my thinking. I just want to get my life in track. I have thought of changing careers but 27 seems too late in the day for me(especially, if I have to just change into an MBA).While I think that I should perhaps prepare very well for my interviews and try going for the broke in my own city, I wonder if I should not be averse to opportunities in other cities. Further, I wonder if I do get fired, whether I will get a job worth what I am earning now(which is not too much but not too little either). I cannot focus very well because of the underlying fear in my heart. Please advise how I should be making decisions in life and be able to ignore fear. Thank you.

Messages In This Thread