rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

My take on getting leaner, stronger and fitter simultaneously

My take on getting leaner, stronger and fitter simultaneously

Strength Training
===========

Programming
---------------

When you want to get leaner while stronger, at some point in the cycle, you will be training hard on a caloric deficit. This is very tough to do, not actually because being on a caloric deficit means you can't train hard, but because nobody really writes a training program for someone in that situation. Most strength programs assume that you are eating normally (caloric maintenance) or in a caloric surplus.

This is where you simply have to learn how your body works and how to write your own program. Which is why it took me so long to get results, because I had to learn a lot.

You have to think beyond training routines. Forget downloading a spreadsheet and plugging your numbers in to get a workout. You can use those programs for references then modify it to suit your own needs.

But you need a system to start with, and I strongly recommend learning Reactive Training System. Think of RTS as a scope that can be used on multiple rifles (training programs). You can use RTS with 5/3/1 (my current program), Sheiko, or whatever routines you choose, and you can customise them using RTS principles and concepts to suit your exact needs.

http://www.reactivetrainingsystems.com

RTS can get complicated and nerdy fast, but the gist of it is rather simple. For example, in a program, I might have squat 150kg x5 tonight. However, if I feel not so good from my cutting, I will instead do 145kg x5, which gives me a result just as good for my strength progress, vs struggling and failing with 150kg x5. If I happen to have a good night, I will not waste it on 150kg x5 but will choose to hit 155kg x5. This will give me more confidence in my progress.

Don't get married to the numbers on a spreadsheet, but think of it as skill practice. Training for strength is not the same as demonstrating strength.

Go to RTS website and learn concepts like RPE, fatigue drop, load drop etc. They are in free articles. You don't need more beyond that, but of course I recommend learning more and buying their stuff. Those guys are legit.

Reps and Sets
----------------

While on a caloric deficit, I highly recommend doing lots of sets at 2 or 3 reps for a total volume of X, equivalent to how you would normally train for 5 reps, if you're used to 5 reps programs i.e 8x3 instead of 5x5. Use similar weights. Rest less between sets if you're short on time.

Hard sets of 5s take ages to recover from, but you can do sets of 2 and 3 at the same weight almost forever. More practice with setup and heavy weights equal better strength progress and confidence in techniques.

Bodybuilding exercises
--------------------------

The above mostly apply to big compound movements like the 3 powerlifts, but with the smaller movements like isolation exercises, upper back, bodyweight etc. you can actually go almost just as hard as usual on a caloric deficit, provided that you have good work capacity....

Work Capacity
----------------

This just means how much volume of work (set x rep x weight per exercise) you can do in a session and in a training week. Or how fit you are, basically.

Why is this important? Strength training doesn't actually burn many calories at all (this is why powerlifters can be so fat!) so you can indeed train well under a caloric deficit, provided that you are fit enough. If you're well conditioned, you can blast through a strength session and still have enough in the tank to take on a caloric deficit.

This can be built in two ways:

- Slowly adding more sets to the same exercises you're doing
- Doing more conditioning sessions aka GPP (general physical preparation)

Conditioning
========

There are many protocols and variations I've tried for conditioning, and you can google them to your heart content. Some of my training partners are doing their Strength & Conditioning certs and can pull about a dozen from their arses at any given moment.

None of those means a damn thing if you do not enjoy them enough to do them regularly.

Tabata sprints work, says my training partner, and he can quote research studies supporting it. Sure, but he only managed to stick with that for 4 weeks before boredom killed those sessions.

Same with KB or BB circuits, bodyweight complexes etc. If you don't really like them but want the results, you will never stick with them long enough to actually see results. Your Tabata circuits may in theory (and in a X weeks long research) may be better than some dude's low intensity cardio, but if you only manage 6 weeks of it and he does it as part of his lifestyle, he will get better results than you.

What I found that worked for me:

- a real sport: for me it's soccer, and now boxing
- training with like-minded friends: I'd go for runs with them while talking smack to each other, and throwing in bodyweight exercise challenges
- dancing

Messages In This Thread