rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Jazz Appreciation- One of the Greatest Arts of All Time

Jazz Appreciation- One of the Greatest Arts of All Time

Quote: (10-13-2015 11:44 AM)rw95 Wrote:  

How does the jazz scene look like in other countries? Sadly, it seems jazz is dead as a cultural force in the United States, but I hear it's still fairly popular in Asia and Europe.

There was a small jazz niche in the city I lived in Europe, but that was second or third-tier city. I imagine it's more prominent in larger cities like Berlin, Paris, etc.

I wouldn't say jazz is entirely dead in the US, but now it's more of a niche genre. Most of the people that listen to jazz are musicians, or jazz musicians themselves. I always say it's a musicians kind of music. In the sense that most people that appreciate it now are only musicians or artists.

Jazz is still very well alive in New Orleans. It seemed to me there was a decent scene in San Francisco when I was there.

The cities that are more 'cultural' or 'artsy' are going to be more acceptable to jazz. i.e. SF, NYC, Portland, etc.

Hell, I was walking around the city of Berkeley one time and there were handlers playing jazz trumpet, sax. I stumbled upon an awesome jazz quartet playing in a cafe. So I don't think it will ever die. There's always someone who loves it.

It's a timeless music/art, and timeless music/arts never die. Just look at classical music or the paintings of Pablo Picasso.

Messages In This Thread