rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Jazz Appreciation- One of the Greatest Arts of All Time

Jazz Appreciation- One of the Greatest Arts of All Time

Quote: (07-14-2015 07:04 AM)UroboricForms Wrote:  

I've been getting more and more into Jazz over the last 2 or 3 years. It's quite daunting because there's so much of it...but I love that feeling of discovery. Reminds me of when I was younger and getting into metal.

I'm particularly fond of experimental/fusion stuff though I do love a good piece of vintage cool/modal or whatever.

I recommend people look into the ECM label for more left-field stuff. There's a David Torn record called Cloud About Mercury that has become a firm favourite of mine. It features the rhythm section of the 80s King Crimson lineup (Bruford and Levin), Mark Isham on trumpet, and David Torn's really tasteful, experimental shred guitar. Very un-traditional but musically very satisfying. Other artists worth looking into are Ralph Towner, Eberhard Weber (I've got an album of his, Pendulum, which is all complete solo bass arrangements, very impressive!), and Pat Metheny put out some stuff on there too.

Also really like Weather Report, namely the stuff with Jaco on bass. I play fretless myself and the guy never fails to blow me away. A real pioneer.

Miles Davis is also essential, from the older ones like Steamin' With the Miles Davis Quintet through Tutu which is a very good album IMO.

Here's a stunning Pat Metheny track featuring Jaco on bass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiKt8DxBpeg

Really just sublime.

Hahahahaa, Holy shit...this a millions time over. I've been obsessed with the ECM Record label and Miles Davis for years...and Jazz more generally.

I'm feelin' a little guilty here for not starting a jazz thread; I remembering wondering months ago if a jazz thread had ever been created on RooshV. I guess I don't use this forum enough to really care. But jazz has been one of my few true loves in life (other than women [Image: smile.gif]

I don't have enough time to hunt down the Youtube videos (or the computing power, I'm currently running a really old laptop that takes forever to load any page including Youtube videos), but I recommend the debut album by Steps Ahead, anything by Mahavishnu Orchestra (or even some of John McLaughlin's stuff with his group Shakti), anything by the recently passed Ornette Coleman, any of the progressive big band music by the likes of Kenny Wheeler and Dave Holland, and especially anything by Allan Holdsworth, which may appeal to some of the more metal-oriented guys on this thread.

To be honest, I've listened to so much jazz over the years that I'm finally starting to branch out and listen to other genres but I more than welcome this thread. I hope some of the RooshV forumers can see some of the diversity of the genre, which gets unfairly pigeonholed as un-diverse, lame and out-dated.

Messages In This Thread