rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

"Humans of New York" Facebook Page

"Humans of New York" Facebook Page

Quote: (07-04-2015 04:06 PM)monster Wrote:  

Quote: (07-04-2015 03:24 PM)Veloce Wrote:  

None of the posts have any point. It's just random New Yorkers talking about failed relationships, or pressure in life, or their 1st world problems.

I'm sorry but I disagree. Humans of NY allows us to glimpse into what makes others tick - their human psychology and what's important to them. Their joys, hurt and - well - their humanity.

It's only partially about relationships. It's also about people trying to make a living, trying to raise their children, trying to fit in, trying to be somebody else, trying to find happiness, trying to deal with hardship and ultimately trying to be happy..

None of the pictures or captions pass judgement on anything, nor are they advancing any agenda. They're just describing what's going on in the picture.

This is street portraiture, and art's purpose is to evoke some sort of emotional reaction in us. I personally enjoy seeing how other people interact with their environments and what makes others tick. I think the ultimate message of Humans of New York is really about hope and overcoming struggle.

Hey, to each their own. With millions of viewers they must be doing something right.

As is obvious by my OP, I just don't get it. When I think of struggle I think of the dust bowl, the depression, homeless moms in Bangkok, the world wars, the firebombing of tokyo. Hell, I think of any shithole town I've passed through in Mexico. There's plenty of beautiful, haunting, heartbreaking photography capturing the above.

Some fat chick working in a cubicle? A divorced father of 2? A teenage kid dealing with coming out of the closet? I just don't see any of it justifying an audience or spending even a moment acknowledging its "significance".

But that's just me.

That facebook page aside, one of my major regrets is not taking a job at Grammercy Tavern when I was 23 or so.

"...so I gave her an STD, and she STILL wanted to bang me."

TEAM NO APPS

TEAM PINK

Messages In This Thread