rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Homework for children

Homework for children

Quote: (06-30-2015 07:46 AM)Horus Wrote:  

Quote: (06-29-2015 04:02 PM)The Beast1 Wrote:  

My involvement with my child's education is when they don't perform well on their subjects and an intervention is needed. They're struggling? Send the teacher an email and meet in person if necessary.

Do you really want to solely entrust a teacher with your child's literacy and numeracy skills? How would you know that they're struggling if you don't have some involvement? Standardised testing is a very poor indicator of a student's true ability. Are you sure that the all teachers will proactively communicate with you if they feel the child is falling behind?

You must realise that, in most Western countries, the stereotype of teachers is generally true. There is a large amount of teachers that are, at best, mediocre, and at worst, dangerously incompetent. That's not even taking into account the teachers who actually care about your child's development. Nobody will ever have more interest in a child's academic progress that his/her parents, but to find a teacher that is both competent and genuinely cares about their students is rare. If you were to place a secret microphone inside any staff room at a school, you would be disgusted at the way many teachers talk about their students.

It also baffles me why parents are only concerned when their child is falling behind. Falling behind what exactly? The arbitrary list of skills an education board has deemed to be appropriate for children of a certain age? We refer to "underachieving" students as having "special needs." However, all students have special needs. For example, a child of above average ability is wasting his time and talent if he is learning the same material that the average children are learning. He will coast and become bored, while achieving high grades with little effort. If you don't live in an area where differentiated learning appropriate to a student's individual needs is standard, then it's up to you as a parent to provide him with the extra intellectual stimulus which will enable him to reach his true potential.

I was spoiled, I went to an excellent high school and I had a blast learning. Though, it was interspersed with some extreme struggling when I got into higher level math and science.

I had to take the same "No Child Left Behind" tests that other students in the rougher public schools had to take. My particular school was one of those "magnet charter schools" gone public after some legal BS. Regardless, they boasted a 100% pass rate on the state exams. 100% percent. Other inner city school districts couldn't even match that. I'm from a 3rd tier city as well.

The SAT and AP tests were way more intense then these state required tests. The state tests were so laughably easy that I managed to score a near 95% on the math section when I was at the time getting a pity pass B- in Algebra 2.

I even went so far as to write about the children's book "Duck for President" for the writing essay. I think they gave me a 9/10 for that too.

If students can't even pass those jokes of a test then they shouldn't graduate, plain and simple. The tests aren't that hard and my teachers certainly didn't teach to any test. They developed a well rounded curricula that happened to include testable content.

I honestly think child tax credits should be variable on school performance. School isn't hard if you show up, listen, and at least try you can score Bs and Cs. It would make parents more inclined to care about their child's performance at school.

If anything, my K-8 experience at a private school fits more of the feminizing BS we complain about here today. A good high school is important. Children should be taught at home until they reach high school freshmen age.

Quote: (06-29-2015 12:37 PM)Sonsowey Wrote:  

I feel like this might be a great project for the manosphere to work on, developing a charter school or eventually a network of charter school for boys that actually provided a positive challenging environment to shape young men. Physical education, study of the classics, strict discipline to help bring out the best in them without scolding them for actually being boys, allowing them outlets to express their masculinity instead of drugging them up to suppress it.

Agreed, i've been pondering ways to make such a school feasible.

Messages In This Thread