rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Homework for children

Homework for children

Quote: (06-29-2015 12:31 PM)Horus Wrote:  

Quote: (06-29-2015 12:18 PM)The Beast1 Wrote:  

Homework shouldn't exist in any form especially with a solid 8-9 hour school day.

Do you not think that there's value in giving students small amounts of homework as described above in order for the parents to understand and have a role in what their children are learning? I consider reading with children to be the most important part of my students' "homework." It's hugely beneficial. Add a couple of relevant maths problems each week and that's it. The key is that it is viewed as quality, enjoyable time where the child is able to share his/her accomplishments with the parents, and the parent has the chance to share and discuss his/her skills, knowledge and ideas through literature.

No I don't. Work, whether it is "homework", chores, or a job is just that work. I don't have any desire to partake in any of it unless my kid has questions such as, "how do I do this?" My involvement with my child's education is when they don't perform well on their subjects and an intervention is needed. They're struggling? Send the teacher an email and meet in person if necessary.

I have no desire to re-learn subjects that I already learned as a child. My kids job is to go to school and get good grades. My involvement as the "manager" is to intervene when things go awry. I'm not going to be there 100% of the time to hand hold and make education an enjoyable process. Quite honestly, not all learning is enjoyable and no amount of hand holding will make it so.

If I want to read a book with my children, I'll get a book that I want to read with them not some busy work assigned by their teacher.

Messages In This Thread