rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Manhattan - Careers in IT [Pay/Competition..etc]

Manhattan - Careers in IT [Pay/Competition..etc]

I was just browsing glassdoor and I was a bit suprised at how low the salaries for IT jobs are in Manhattan on average. For example take Charlotte, NC.

Quote:Quote:

Application Programmer
7 Bank of America Charlotte Salaries (of 33)
$96,459

Software Engineer
4 Bank of America Charlotte Salaries (of 32)
$105,340

I looked at NYC salaries and I expected them to be a lot higher(I am assuming these companies are located in Manhattan and not some other borough). According to the Cost of living calculator making $100k in Charlotte is equal to $234k in Manhattan. Obviously I'm not expecting salaries to come anywhere near that but I was expecting $150k the norm for Senior level employees in Manhattan and it seems like a lot of them are topping out at around $120-130k which you can straight up get close to in a lot of cities or at least the cost of living will put you well above that. For example 100K for Senior level in Philadelphia is common and thats equivalent to around $185k in Manhattan.

Is this kind of a case where the competition is so high the pay doesn't need to come close to meeting the rest of the country even with cost of living? I'm also assuming there is some niche markets up there(maybe financial?.. where guys are making bank and for the rest it's a pay cut).

Quote:Quote:

Application Developer
150 IBM New York City Salaries (of 726)
$76,691

Senior Software Engineer
87 IBM New York City Salaries (of 480)
$112,660

Applications Developer
205 J.P. Morgan New York City Salaries (of 766)
$109,204

Senior Applications Developer
11 J.P. Morgan New York City Salaries (of 38)
$129,542

Systems Engineer
13 Bank of America New York City Salaries (of 36)
$105,644

Senior Database Administrator
2 Logicworks Salaries
$119,690

Messages In This Thread