rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The "Squat Like A Boss" clinic

The "Squat Like A Boss" clinic

Quote: (01-05-2016 09:27 PM)redbeard Wrote:  

Finally got the chance to read through this whole thread. Epic breakdown. [Image: thumb.gif]

Any advice for tall lifters?

Squatting is the only lift I have issues with. My bodyweight squat is fine, but when I add weight, butt wink seems to irritate my lower back. I substitute with Split Squats and Lunges, but still desire to squat.

How tall are you? What are you like, proportionally (leg to torso)? Do you have long or short femur? FYI if your femur length is 26% or less of your height, you have short femur, and vice versa.

I've been coaching a few tall guys: 6'8", 6'5" and 6'3". They all squat slightly differently, as they are different.

The 6'8" guy is all legs, he sits back more, and also needs a lot more mobility work because he's tight as a nun's.

The other two squat straight down in a more quad dominant style, as they have rather long torsos.

They are not all that different to the shorter guys with similar variations in leg:torso ratio. They just have longer ROM, way longer. It's quite fun watching the 6'8" guy squat or bench!

Do you have butt wink when squatting with just bodyweight? If you do then it's a mobility issue, and you may need to do some mobilisation like on your hip flexors.

If you only have it with a barbell, it might be the way you set up and have the bar on your back. Usually IME it's due to hyper-extending the back (arching too much) and neck at the top, so when the lifter gets to the bottom, the back flexes back the other way and produces "butt wink", and also weakens the support base for the weight of the bar.

Messages In This Thread