rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Back to BJJ after a month off, feel like sh*t!, thinking of hanging it up

Back to BJJ after a month off, feel like sh*t!, thinking of hanging it up

Just started BJJ, and feeling like OP, so I thought I'd bump this thread rather than start a new one. I used to do judo but about 4 months ago I was thrown HARD. I immediately knew something was wrong, but rather than just sitting out the rest of the class I got back onto my feet and kept doing randori. Weeks (and multiple physio sessions) later, I'm now almost ready to go back to judo, so I thought I'd give BJJ a try to ease my way back into grappling. What a shock to the system! Whilst I believe that judo is harder on the body than BJJ, I have to say jits is not far behind. My cervical spine and ribs are taking a beating. Bear in mind i'm in my 40s, and with time off for injuries, etc, I only have about 1 year of judo behind me.

Last week (my 4th week into it), I was rolling with a guy about 20 years younger than me but considerably heavier and a lot more experienced. He had all of his weight on my ribs. I didn't tap; not out of ego, but because my body was warm and the adrenaline was pumping so beside obvious discomfort I didn't really register any damage. However, on the drive home it felt like it had been hit with a sledgehammer in the abdominal area and ribs.

As an aside, before we rolled he asked me whether I had previously done in any other arts, and I mentioned I had some judo. Maybe he wanted to prove a point, I don't know.

Is this kind of discomfort normal for newbies? Does the body adjust? Also, did my opponent pull a dick move or is that a normal part of the game (bearing in mind I'm still a beginner)? Would I be regarded as a pussy if i asked him to take it easy on me next time round?

Messages In This Thread