rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Thinking about doing music full time

Thinking about doing music full time

I admire your tenacity. I have a soft spot in my heart for musicians and the creative process. I'm going to give some tough love, so be prepared:

Here's my advice: have a plan B. A solid plan B. 99.5% of all people in your position will fail. The industry is a cruel beast.

With that said, you need a solid plan A and from your posts you haven't really defined what it is you WANT to do. You're wallowing between many different roles and have no clear direction. So you don't like doing business stuff or engineering. That's fine, however you will need a network of people who are competent enough to fill those various roles you don't like. Is your personal and professional network healthy enough to freelance out those roles to people?

Secondly, you've stated a distaste for the business end of the creative process. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but any two bit creative individual can write and record a song (and a lot do). It takes a real genius to SELL your product to the correct gate keepers who will be the ones who make you money. This is a real hustle in and of itself. Unfortunately this is what will make or break any creative individual even those who make modest lifestyles.

And finally, what about your lifestyle? Are you comfortable living a meager existence well into your 30s or 40s? That means living in a rough part of town with room mates well after your youth has left you.

The music industry is centered in Los Angeles with a small smattering in NYC. If you want your odds of success increasing significantly you'll need to be in Los Angeles which means you'll be driving a used car. This will be a significant expense as you'll need wheels to get to gigs.

Seriously think about what that means. It's easy when you're in your 20s, but my preferences for living has changed drastically from my early to mid 20s.

It will start getting exponentially harder to get young women as you age. Living the life of a starving artist will ruin your face and body. Obviously careful eating and living can prevent this, but most artists I know are drinkers, smokers, and stay up way too late. This lifestyle will tax your body and your hot rocker bode will give way to a nasty appearance. Game will obviously mitigate this, but it will get harder to game women outside of your age group.

And to close, you shot yourself in the foot when you quit your first band because you weren't getting enough pussy. That is by far one of the dumbest reasons to quit anything. Shame on you!

Yoko did the Beatles in. Don't commit the cardinal sin of letting a woman ruin a band (ps you already did).

Women, money, and fame are rewards for success. When you make your career centered on rewards you will not only not get those rewards, you will fail miserably and be bitter because of it.

Make the hard work your passion and the rewards will come and be welcomed.

Messages In This Thread