rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Conditioning to complement SL 5x5

Conditioning to complement SL 5x5

Hello All,

I have been following SL 5x5 for about 2-3 months now and starting to experience positive results. I finish each workout off with neck and grip strength work. I also roll BJJ once or twice a week, but would do 3-4 if time permitted. Ideal for me would be at least 5-6 hours of mat time a week.

I'd like to complement the strength program by doing some conditioning for say 2 sessions a week.

Mostly I am interested in building my forearms, grip and endurance for grappling with bodyweight exercises and kettlebells.

A secondary concern is having a stronger core to assist my lifting and all round stamina, which neither bjj nor lifting seem to provide (being very specific forms of exercise).

If you were in my position, how would you structure these workouts to ensure not burning myself out, considering all the other exercise I do over the course of a week?

I'm also wondering what the approach is when you worked on muscle group one day on the strength training with barbells (5x5), and do higher rep conditioning with a kettlebell (on the same muscle group) the next day.

So for example I do my 5x5 barbell bent over rows one day, and then do say a circuit which includes 3xrounds of 1minutes of bent over kettlebell rows (at a weight equivalent to less than half the bar+plates of the barbell row).

Is that advisable or would it be better to leave further recovery days before hitting the kb bent over rows?

Thank you in advance for humouring my noob self.

Messages In This Thread