rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Advice needed for music demo/online presence

Advice needed for music demo/online presence

I'm a new member who has been reading musician threads on here. I thought this guy gave some good advice:

http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-25507-...#pid484776

I'm interested in hearing from people who have some experience playing live and have created a demo & online presence to compliment their shows. This is more of a technical post.

I've been getting back into music during the past 2 years and playing short shows at local dive bars and small cafes when I have time. On good nights, I get awesome reactions from audiences. My "fans" are encouraging me to take this hobby further.

As far as song writing, technique, stage presence, etc., I think I'm aware of my strengths and I'm actively working on my weaknesses. I've also been hanging out at local shows and meeting other musicians which I think is important. I want to create an online presence and quality demo that does some heavy lifting - the goals being to expand my online audience and help me book shows at more respected venues. I have a 9 to 5 which I love, so this is a moonlighting endeavor right now.

I've created a rough demo in Garage Band and opened a ReverbNation account, but it seems spammy and too focused on the up sell. Here are my questions:

-Is Logic Pro worth the money? I'm mostly doing live acoustic guitar/vocals with some keyboards/synths in post. I would like to expand my sound though with more keyboards and techno-style kits. I also want maximum control during post production to create something professional.

-Is Sound Cloud a better distribution tool than Reverb Nation? Are there any other music distribution sites you recommend? I assume I should also create a YouTube channel, facebook page and all that.

-Right now my USB mic (Yeti Blue) and MIDI controller (M-Audio 49 keys) are pretty low end. Any recommendations for upgrades are appreciated. I've been looking at Nord stuff for keys. If there are specific Nord models you recommend, I'm all ears.

-More of a live performance question: I think a MacBook/Midi keyboard combo for live shows can be magical since it adds a lot of versatility if you're playing solo. I'd like to experiment with this. For folks that have experience with this setup, do you plug your laptop directly into the PA or use a dedicated keyboard amp hooked up to your laptop? I'd be using this setup for pre-recorded loops in Garage Band as well as live MIDI keyboard stuff.

-Any other advice or random thoughts about creating a demo are appreciated. Thanks.

Messages In This Thread