rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

I'm going into teaching as a profession

I'm going into teaching as a profession

I just finished a 4 year elementary school teaching degree and questioned whether it was the right path for me throughout. My two teaching practicals (5 and 8 weeks respectively) were hell on earth and as soon as I got home from one day, I would be dreading the next. I kid you not, some days I would have preferred to be hit by a bus on the way to work than actually step inside that classroom again. I wasn't sure if that was just the pressure of being a student teacher and constantly being watched and judged by a mentor or if I actually hated teaching, and to be honest I still don't know. I'm a bit of an introvert and need my own space at times and having to be at the front of a classroom on show at all times, while constantly communicating with fellow adults about my performance at the same time, really got to me after a while. In saying that, I am glad I stuck it out and completed the degree because at least I have a solid fall back option in the future if teaching appeals to me more as I mature. The degree could also be used a means of travel in the near future with international school jobs as mentioned in the discussion here.

Teaching is hard man and the perks are vastly overrated. Any decent teacher will not be working 9-3. It will be more along the lines of 8-5 and if you're not a morning person like me, the hours are terrible. The holidays are great but you won't be taking off for 6 weeks every summer. There will be things you will be required to be in the country for such as professional development, school meetings, and preparation for the next semester. Coming back to school for another year after that long holiday and starting from scratch again would also provoke suicidal thoughts if you don't absolutely love your job. Teaching definitely takes a special kind of person. You can develop all the pedagogical knowledge and skills in the world but in the end, I think teachers are born and not made.

Messages In This Thread