rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

I'm going into teaching as a profession

I'm going into teaching as a profession

Quote: (04-21-2015 08:06 AM)obrero Wrote:  

I have been considering getting a certification to teach in my state, Texas. Does anyone have experience with the alternate certification programs, or is it a better idea to get a masters degree in teaching?

Im considering teaching because my current line of work offers very little time off and the locations where I can possibly work are near military bases. I like the idea of being able to go on extended travel every year.

The alternate programs can certainly expedite the process, but they will throw you into some of the most challenging situations you could find in schools that nobody wants to teach at. And you're committed to two years. If this is a ticket out of the country, to Latin or Asian poosy paradise, then the alternate program is not the best way.

My cousin got a job at an international school in China with only a CELTA (a one-month TEFL training course). Granted, she's not at any kind of 1st tier school in a particularly desirable city, but she's in China and making good money. And she didn't have to invest 2 years getting a valid teaching credential and the money (and opportunity cost) that comes with it.

Messages In This Thread