rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Americas' Spanish Language Datasheet

Americas' Spanish Language Datasheet

Quote: (08-26-2018 03:24 PM)TrifeLife Wrote:  

Does anyone have any recommendations for Spanish language Novels?

So far I've read two Spanish language Novels Como agua para chocolate which is a Mexican classic about a girl who as the youngest daughter isn't supposed to wed or bear children, in keeping with family tradition. Sort of in the magical realism genre, not as soft as my basic summary makes it sound 6/10

Travesuras de la niña mala (only 80% finished with this one)
Man who is a self aware beta spends his whole life doting on a woman who is essentially a self-confessed cold-hearted hypergamous whore, who dangles pussy in front of man's face and even gives him a taste periodically before vanishing to be with high status men. Written by an older Peruvian guy who seems to have a realistic perspective in regards to sex relations, though the book is showing hints at an unrealistic rom-com ending in which the two end up as a happy couple. 7/10 contingent on ending

Looking for something to follow up with, preferably Latin American origin, any suggestions would be appreciated!

I can mostly recommend Mexican novels. In roughly increasing level of difficulty, they are:

Los Relámpagos de Agosto by Jorge Ibarguengoitia is a short, funny novel and a fairly easy read. It's written in the voice of a former general from the Mexican Revolution who recounts the story of his botched coup attempt.

The classic Mexican novel is Juan Rulfo's Pedro Páramo. It's written in a magical realism style that can be difficult to follow the first time around, since it jumps between characters and time periods. But it was immensely influential on Gabriel Garcia Marquez and presents an unforgettable portrait of Mexican village life.

El Asesino Solitario by Elmer Mendoza is a fictionalized account of the assassination of Mexican politician Luis Colosio. The novel is written in the voice of the assassin and uses the slangy Mexican Spanish of an uneducated man from Sinoloa. Perfect novel to read if you want to polish your Mexican slang, although some of the words you learn in the book won't help you out in the DF.

Another book that a lot of people like that has an intensely Mexican setting is Los Detectives Salvajes by Roberto Bolaño. This one is more DF-centric but is also a lot more literary and experimental than the other two above. I wasn't a big fan, but most other people I know who have read the book really loved it.

Messages In This Thread