rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Riding Scooters or Motorbikes in Asia

Riding Scooters or Motorbikes in Asia

I had a Yamaha Jog scooter when I lived in Japan. I took that thing everywhere: up the mountains, through the rice fields, around the city. It's a very civilized country with great roads and infrastructure, so it doesn't really translate perfectly to the SEA experience I guess. Ownership is very straightforward and simple for a machine that's 50cc or less (I think the "50cc" machines may be 49cc technically) there. You don't need a special license of any sort and it was like $60 bucks a year for insurance, IIRC. I did crash it once, trying to return some videos to the rental shop at night in the middle of a typhoon. No damage, just a small spill... or two. I said "fuck it," turned around and went home. I returned them a day or two later when things had died down and was pissed that they charged me a late fee! Lol. My Japanese at the time was not good enough to plead the typhoon excuse, ha. But man, I'm not exaggerating when I say that I had some of the most beautiful, zen moments of my life riding that thing through the countryside. Buzzing around the city like a swarm of killer bees with other scooter dudes was fun, too.

I also rented a 250cc dual sport in Cambodia and rode from Phnom Penh out into the countryside to my friend's small village with him on the back. Traffic in the city was like playing Frogger; once we ferried over the Mekong and hit the gravel/dirt roads the rest of the way things got even more interesting, but we made it there and back without incident. The rental was super cheap and easy (I was with a Cambodian friend though, so that may have helped.) I just told the shop guy to give us two helmets and to make sure there was air in the tires. Off we went for about four or five days. Easy peasy.

To be honest, I actually don't mind chaotic roads and lack of infrastructure. After living in the developing world for a while I now get unbelievably frustrated when I'm riding or driving in the States and have to stop at a red light every five hundred fucking feet and everyone's on their goddamed cellphone texting or checking their social media, not even looking at the road! It's like I'm more at peace on busted roads with no signals, lanes, or signage than ones with red light cams and soccer moms!

I crashed my liter bike here in the States one time, too. Lowsided on a country road after coming into a blind curve too hot and hitting some gravel and dirt on the shoulder. I was all geared-up though and came away unscathed, the bike got fucked up a bit though... Long story, but the point is riding is in my blood. Though it's dangerous it's also thrilling and I have to do it. I've covered just a few small corners of it, but I'd like to ride around the whole world one day. An excellent website and resource for people who are doing just that is advrider.com. There are plenty of ride reports from guys who are riding all over SEA. There was one British dude that rode a 110cc Honda scooter from Sydney to London via SEA, India, etc. Epic report here. I'm sure all you SEA scooter junkies will love it.

Keep the rubber side down, fellas.

Messages In This Thread