rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Organ Donation

Organ Donation

Quote: (01-02-2015 06:08 PM)Genghis Khan Wrote:  

Because politicians can't win elections if they piss off the religious. In reality, laws are often formed not based on logic but beliefs. For example, I don't know if you can argue logically for a universal healthcare system. You can definitely do it from a belief point of view ('affordable healthcare is a human right that the government should provide'). For most religious people, the law of God (their beliefs) supersedes any logic and their elected officials better accommodate that.

This is also why most governments will unlikely implement a policy of 'if you don't opt in, you don't get organs yourself'. I agree this would be the most fair system. But this means we would be holding people accountable for their choices (or lack thereof) and in our modern societies we believe in second chances. More importantly, as a society, we also belief in the sanctity of life so we're not going to let a guy die because he never signed up to be an organ donor.

Unless you want to repeal the 1986 EMTALA, universal healthcare is logical in the USA. I don't believe in a sky wizard, and I'm not liberal/bleeding heart, I just hate waste and inefficiency.
Since everyone has the right to be treated in the ER regardless of their ability to pay, it makes sense to give people at least some sort of universal access to preventative and primary care, which is significantly cheaper than ER care, and which may help correct small illnesses or problems before they become serious or chronic (ie expensive).
As for no registration as a donor no right to a transplant, its fairness in my point of view, and a way to ensure a healthy supply of organs without opening up an auction system. At the very least not signing up to be an organ donor should knock you down to the very bottom of the priority list for transplants. Below chronic alcoholics.

"Me llaman el desaparecido
Que cuando llega ya se ha ido
Volando vengo, volando voy
Deprisa deprisa a rumbo perdido"

Messages In This Thread