rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Advice on Bogota...

Advice on Bogota...

(12-30-2014, 03:30 AM)scotian Wrote:  I was in a similar situation as you three years, new to Colombia and new to the Spanish language. Actually, I stayed for over two months in the exact apartment complex you mention in your OP, the building is called "Living 55" as I'm sure you already know. I wouldn't book a room there before hand as I never have and I've stayed there several times over the past three years and they've never been full. The building is decent, I would ask for rooms 207 or 208 (the corner ones) but either way that building is on a busy street and noisy as fuck so you may want to bring some ear plugs. The building is decent and the barrio is cool too although I will change locations next time I'm in the capital as I got bored with Chapinero the last time I was there two months ago. Its centrally located between the upper class north and the riff raff to the south, its almost a buffer zone, you can have a great time in Chapinero, but I'm keen on knowing the north more.

As far as Bogota goes, I stayed there for about three months in total and while I enjoyed my time there, I won't live there again, but will definitely stay there for short visits of about 3-5 days to visit friends and party. Its the capital of Colombia and as such is the most populated and diverse city with tons of night life options and many different scenes. You will find the most educated Colombians here since there's so many head offices of multi national companies, embassies, etc and also Bogota is home to many universities and many students flock there from all over the county, so that means lots of girls away from their judgemental families. You will also find the most English speaking girls in Bogota although that may not be the best situation for a student of Spanish. There are quite a few private Spanish language institutes in Bogota, I can recommend one called Nueva Lengua which is located in Chapinero, about a ten minute walk from the apartment on calle 55, but its not cheap, I paid $240 per week USD three years ago. You can probably find cheaper ones if you look elsewhere but the instruction at the one I recommend was top notch in my opinion.

Honestly, you reasons for staying in Bogota are weak, of course UK airlines only fly to the capital, same as most national airlines, you can get a flight to another city for less than $75 or take a bus to Medellin or Cali for $25-40. You mention a chick that you've connected with online, that's all good and is basically what I did (I stayed in Bogota for over two months because of a chick I met online), but trust me, don't get caught up with one girl down here as you are the prize, being a foreigner. That being said, don't expect chicks to be jumping on your cock because you are a foreigner, you will have to put in effort and hard work, especially if you aren't the type of foreigner that Colombian women jump all over. In case you guys are wondering, that's a combo of a few things and could be any of the following: tall, blond, blue eyes, jacked, great dancer. I'm none of the above but I put in the effort of learning Spanish and I'm comfortable here with the girls I"m pulling, this isn't Asia and I could see how a guy could come here and not get laid, it isn't unheard of.

Anyway, I can write more but I think I made my point, if I was you I'd stay in Bogota for two weeks and then move on, the other cities have much nicer weather, are cheaper in all aspects and overall are more livable. I will be in the country until April so there's a chance that we could meet up and I'll be more than happy to meet up for drinks and show you around.

Dated, but I disagree. Other cities, save Medellin and Piera, have more mystery meat. If one is looking for that, then you have a point. Also,  Bogota has built-up areas and pockets of wealth, which can be refreshing. There are a variety of things and venues. Most importantly, it's the only city in the country with reasonable direct flights from USA. The others are Cali, huge step down I hear, though girls are easy, but less hot than the other city--Barranquilla--hot mestizos, friendly.  Cartegena has flights and the most culture/history, but the chicks aren't hot and it has too many whores and tourists. You go there with your g-friend.

Messages In This Thread