rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Christmas ham

Christmas ham

After many failed attempts, I finally figured out how to cook a juicy ham hock for Christmas:

- Choose a pre-cooked ham hock that is sealed in brine
- Use a fowl baking pan (the kind that has the suspension cradle for chickens, turkeys, goose, or ducks)
- Make a shallow tub from a single sheet of large tin foil in the bottom of the cradle. Make sure it doesn't have any holes.
- Pour the brine from the ham package into the foil
- Place the ham hock, cut side down, into the foil pool
- Cover the rest of the ham with foil. Try to completely seal it off so the brine can't steam off while baking.
- Bake in the oven at 325 degrees for 10 minutes for each pound, i.e. an 11 pound ham for 110 minutes
- Take it out and carefully pour some of the remaining hot brine from the foil into the serving tray
- Put the ham on the serving tray and pour the glaze over it. I suggest using a very thick, maple/sugary glaze. Let it melt and soak in for about 5 minutes.
- Take it out to the table and slice it up. Because you sealed the brine in during baking, it should be a juicy ham. The dripping glaze will mix with the salty brine at the bottom of the tray. You can dip the ham slices into the liquid before placing on someone's plate to give them some nice marinade. I think a good wine pairing is either a hearty chardonnay from California or Washington State, or a Pinot Noir/Burgundy. For side dishes I suggest steamed broccoli, sweet potatoes and marshmallows, mashed potatoes, and Caesar salad.

It's really important that the meat is cooked right, because it is the centerpiece of the entire holiday meal. When the meat is good, your guests will drink more and be in a better mood, greatly enhancing the party atmosphere. Any further tips or suggestions are welcome.

Messages In This Thread