rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Biggest life Regrets. What Would you tell your 20 year old self?

Biggest life Regrets. What Would you tell your 20 year old self?

Why people are so different:

We all carry a model of the universe around in our head. How to walk, talk, the ability to predict danger, how things work and why things work are all simulated in our brains. This helps us to predict and function in a complicated universe. Everything from gravity, relationships and taxes are all reproduced in a working model in the brain.

Now there is only one universe, and one set of rules. But everyone’s model is very, very different. Everyone’s model is broken, missing rules and just plain wrong in areas. That’s because they can only build it on their life’s experience and it’s shaped by how they can understand and process that experience. So, we are really all living in different universes! It’s a more of a miracle that we can agree on anything, rather than be exasperated at our profound differences. NLP has a saying "The map is not the terrain".

Becoming Self Employed:

Leaving a safe, secure job to start a business. It’s a scary, hard thing to do. Your friends, parents and peers will all advise against taking the risk. What if you fail? What if it doesn’t work out?

Well, if you really crash and burn and utterly fail in a complete way…. Then you will just have to get a job again. I mean you have a job now, right? So you can get a job back if it all goes wrong.

So if you think about it, you are currently in the WORST POSSIBLE position you can be in, right now.

About money:

It’s all just junk. Look around you, all that stuff. Junk. Any man whos been divorced can tell you that even when it all gets taken off you, life goes on, it’s definitely not the end of the world. Live your life like it’s all going to get taken off you tomorrow. What a relief, no need to worry about it now.

Spend it on experiences, helping others, developing yourself –all these things can never be taken off you.

Its you who earned and acquired all that stuff. You can do it all again tomorrow. It’s not what life it all about.

Stop ameliorating discomfort

I see people jump through hoops to avoid discomfort. They don’t want to be too hot, too cold, work too hard, sweat, carry heavy things or confront painful truths. The problem is when you go through life avoiding discomfort, your threshold to tolerate pain and discomfort narrows, creating a constant feedback loop of trying to avoid but then still feeling discomfort.

“Grasp the nettle” - embrace pain, discomfort and hard work. It makes you tougher, makes comfortable times more pleasurable and gives you back the energy you would have spent dodging discomfort at all costs to do more noble things. Otherwise known as “take a spoonful of cement and harden up princess” in my native tongue. Or as one of my favourite sayings goes “On a dark, rainy, windy night… Enter that darkness”

Messages In This Thread