rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Stretching - When and How is Best? Working out again after hitting bottom

Stretching - When and How is Best? Working out again after hitting bottom

While I understand the concept of not stretching pre-work out, statically anyways, due to it's potential to decrease strength, it's something I feel isn't that bad for me. It does seem however, to possibly loosen joints a bit to much. And in the joint is where my injuries will likely occur.

Having torn a hamstring before (ouch!), and left bi-cep (still gives me problems years later), I still tend to stretch a bit pre-work out. I also do 3-5 sec stretches between sets of the muscle I'm working. It's kept me injury free, at least muscle tear injuries, for the past 2.5 years. It does concern me that looser joints due to the stretch are putting unneeded stress on my joints due to potential shifts during flexion during either concentric and/or eccentric part of the lift.

Since I'm not convinced pre-work out stretching is hampering my weight potential for 3-6 rep range heavy lifts especially, I've continued to do them, but focused on maintaining greater flexion on the eccentric part of each motion to lock the joint better. The downside is it's slowed the timing of some lifts and I may be losing some gains based on the slowed eccentric part of motion. leading to greater time under tension, thus decreasing the explosiveness on the concentric part of the motion. I'm open to suggestions here..

Mind you this is post-op dual bilateral knee scopes for torn meniscuses, had the surgeries 9 years ago, and mediocre arthritis was discovered as well. This didn't deter me from pounding legs however, in fact heavy leg days result in my knees feeling better long-term.

At 6'4" 235 lbs. ectomorph frame, I've noticed in general shorter mesomorphs and endomorphs stretching less in general. Could it be that stretching is more beneficial the taller and thinner you are? Any input here is welcomed. thanks for reading.

Messages In This Thread