rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Coding Bootcamps - Are they worth the $?

Coding Bootcamps - Are they worth the $?

Hey y'all, I had a brief question about all you software engineers / people working in tech. Can't thank frenchcorporation's http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-26260.html thread enough.

My background is as follows:

I'm a polisci major(Junior in college) who's interested in web development - Mostly I'm trying to get a software engineering internship for next summer. Right now my skillset is quite limited, I only took one CS class in college and struggled but have started learning Ruby on Rails on my own and although I'm still fairly new at it right now, I've been working consistently and could see myself deploying simple web apps in a month or two.

I have two specific questions:

1. When is the general deadline for summer software-engineer internships? Ones from major companies have already closed(December 1st) but a lot of them have deadlines till April. My concern is that my skillset won't be developed enough / won't have any personal side projects on my resume UNTIL April and that's when I plan on applying(Late March - Early April).

2. As a safety plan I applied and got accepted into a coding bootcamp. If you're not familiar with what that is, it's a new business that's popping up everywhere in SF, NYC that teaches you to code in a matter of 8 to 12 weeks. The one I got accepted to has a hefty price tag, $13k for one summer. I've looked at the curriculum and researched some info behind the bootcamp on Quora, how they give job support and how their alumni is doing and it doesn't look bad. But I'd much rather teach myself RoR and get proficient at it enough until April and land something on my own for summer.

Overall I feel pretty backed up, and being from a non-CS background trying to catch up on all the technical knowledge that a typical CS major would have seems like a lot to overcome by myself; but I'm willing to put in the work and see where it takes me. Any thoughts and feedback would be much, much appreciated.

Messages In This Thread