rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Is There Any Reason To Contact An Embassy Or Consulate For A Non-Emergency?

Is There Any Reason To Contact An Embassy Or Consulate For A Non-Emergency?

This article I saw today on the BBC had me thinking. It's about people making frivolous requests from their embassy while on foreign trips:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-30305971

The most hilarious request noted in the article was one guy who contacted his embassy to get help for paying for a prostitute in Thailand.

[Image: laugh4.gif]

Other dunces had similarly idiotic requests, like trying to get a pet off of a roof or getting help to pay for a jet ski repair.

The question is: Is there any reason to contact (or "check in" with) an embassy or consulate while abroad?

I personally have never done it, nor known anyone who has. My gut instinct is that it's a waste of time, and does nothing for you. On the other hand, the US State Department still apparently recommends you "check in" with an embassy or consulate when you are in a foreign city that has one. Seems they like to know who's "in country."

Has anyone ever done this? Is there any utility or use for it? Stories would be welcome.

Messages In This Thread