rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Offering low prices to begin building a market for tutoring

Offering low prices to begin building a market for tutoring

I am not using any books, worksheets, anything like that.

I only started with my first student last week. She is studying Spanish at University, has plenty of books and grammar exercises, has a decent basic/intermediate level of Spanish, but just cannot really speak or communicate.

Considering it's college students, I do not think they want any more books, pdfs, worksheets or packets. They have gotten that since middle school and frankly it doesn't work. I plan on speaking with them and practicing verbally, watching videos, helping them talk out their issues, and giving them practical advice that they will have to commit to memory, since writing it down has failed for 10+ years in most cases.

My first student was eager to ask tons of questions, get clarifications on things, and work through songs.

She surprisingly told me she had NEVER translated a song from Spanish to English before. She had been told by teachers that this was BAD and so avoided it.

We translated two songs and she was able to understand most of it on her own, I was there helping her understand some slang, turns of phrase, and a few vocab words she didn't know. I helped her pronounce it, try to sing it, and told her to commit these two songs to memory for next week.

She liked it and agreed to $20. I am glad she enjoyed it and didn't expect a "class". It should be fun for us both and I hope I can get more clients through her if she enjoys it.

Messages In This Thread