rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Advice for new grad and living at home..next move?!

Advice for new grad and living at home..next move?!

Speaking from experience having done exactly what you're contemplating, I agree with Samsamsam 100%. I was fortunate in the sense I lived at home during school, and got most of it paid for with scholarships. I continued to live at home for another 1.5 years, since I actually graduated with money to finance a few fun, (albeit tame - Western Europe, Canada, USA) trips.

When I got a job for a change, I got one that required a ton of sacrifice, no real life outside work, but paid very well. I lived in shared housing, secondhand clothes and books, driving a 15 yo car. But I bet I've saved 80% of my pay in the 7 years I've been working, while I have friends who started working at graduation who have just paid off their student loans. Oh and they have like 25% equity in a condo. I see them cast in chains no different than Jacob Marley. Me? I'm early 30's, and my social life definitely took a decent hit. Some say I wasted my twenties. I'm out of shape from most of my meals coming on the road. But, the other side of the coin? I've had a few amazing trips to South America and Asia, I'm by far the most travelled of any of my friends, and most importantly, I'm free. I could literally stop working tomorrow, and move to Asia for a decade.

In short? Stay at home. Work more if anything. Better yourself with books, exercise, knowledge.

Messages In This Thread