rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Net Neutrality: Wolf in Sheep's Clothing?

Net Neutrality: Wolf in Sheep's Clothing?

Quote: (11-11-2014 11:44 PM)TheSlayer Wrote:  

Quote: (11-11-2014 10:02 PM)dholland662 Wrote:  

I did in fact post something about how the controversy over Netflix is actually a red herring, it may not be applicable for Canada but it may.

In Canada there is a long and well-documented history of ISPs throttling download speeds for torrents and also throttling YouTube and Netflix. When Netflix came to Canada the very next day (I kid you not) ISPs raised the prices for internet packages and decreased bandwidth usages on all packages.

The problem with USA and Canada is that the cable companies are also ISPs and that's not good for the public. Cable companies want you to keep paying those high monthly cable fees but the public is moving towards more online streaming, programming and Netflix is a big part of that. I have no doubt that all these cable companies do try to fuck over Netflix. In an ideal world the cable companies should not be the ISPs, especially in 2014. I am sure moving forward the cable companies will make internet packages more expensive. It's in their best interests to throttle services like Netflix.
I see. How did these cable companies gain this power? Because in the US history, our telecommunications companies benefit a lot from the government intervening.
Which is a big part of why I am skeptical that NN would do what is said it would do since gov and the ISPs are in bed already.

Messages In This Thread