rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Airline Pilot (Career) Datasheet

Airline Pilot (Career) Datasheet

Quote: (11-06-2014 05:59 PM)Vacancier Permanent Wrote:  

How much time off per year do you get usually as pilot? I hope it's more than the 2-3 weeks you'd get in the corporate world.

Generally speaking, you get 2 weeks annual vacation to start. After 10 years you're getting 4-5. However, this is misleading. I am using my two weeks at the end of January/early Feb. I set my schedule to work my ass off the beginning of Jan and end of Feb... allowing me a total of 5 weeks off paid because I used my monthly days off to enhance my vacation. I normally get 18 days off per month while working 12-13.

I also stack my schedules when I don't have vacation to allow me 2-3 weeks paid 'vacation' over the turn of the month... so I can get the hell out of the west. In essence I am able to get around 6 months 'paid vacation' per year and travel extensively (with free airfare anywhere in the world) Keep in mind, I am a senior pilot on my equipment and that gives me the power to do this.

Quote: (11-11-2014 05:31 PM)Osiris Wrote:  

Are there any language requirements for international pilots?

What are the downsides of being a pilot (besides the costs of becoming one)?

If English is not your native language you have to demonstrate proficiency in the language via a series of tests. I'm American so I do not know much about the process. I imagine most airlines also require you to speak the country's native tongue (Middle Eastern and some Chinese airlines do not. LAN requires you to speak Spanish)

Downsides:
-Low starting pay of 20k USD. Could be a decade before you break 50k... tends to be a matter of luck.
-Little control over career advancement. You move up to captain and to larger aircraft when your seniority number gets called. Promotions are seniority based not merit based.
-Schedules can be unpredictable. Expect having to spend several days at a time on the road.
-Very hostile relationships between management and labor

Quote: (11-11-2014 11:38 PM)NeVerGymLess Wrote:  

Do you need a degree ?

Officially, no. Most airlines will not consider you without one, however. The degree does NOT need to be in aviation.

“There is no global anthem, no global currency, no certificate of global citizenship. We pledge allegiance to one flag, and that flag is the American flag!” -DJT

Messages In This Thread