rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Medical (physician) Career Data Sheet

Medical (physician) Career Data Sheet

I was going to rip someone who hadn't even gone to med school writing a 'doctor data sheet' but this isn't bad advice. the overriding principle is picking a specialty. if you're thinking about going into medicine, if it isn't a "god has spoken to me" calling I wouldn't bother going into any primary care specialty. between the pressure from insurance, the ACA, physician assistants, and the basic commoditization of primary healthcare (among other factors) it is not a major moneymaker and especially won't be one 10 years down the line. after malpractice insurance and time lost, your early 30s engineer counterparts probably won't be too different.

obviously medicine is a delayed gratification field just by virtue of the time lag involved in the education requirements, and the residency will grind you down. but as Charisma Man implied, there are benefits to the patient man. it's not a job any idiot can fall into, but we've all heard the joke about the last guy in med school. if you're smart enough pursue a STEM career there's no reason you shouldn't be able to get into medicine. I don't have anywhere near the depth of knowledge about emergency medicine and not all of us are willing to live a nomadic lifestyle traipsing around Texas in pursuit of contract work, but for a specific application it isn't a bad idea.

aside from the financial concerns, from a game perspective being a doctor is a panty dropper. pure and simple. that comes with its own attendant problems, but that's another story. the sheer social stature western society places on doctors probably isn't going anywhere this generation.

full disclosure, I'm not a doctor either, but I've worked in the healthcare field.

Messages In This Thread