rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Medical (physician) Career Data Sheet

Medical (physician) Career Data Sheet

Hey gents,

Second year pre-med here, finishing out a semester of Organic Chemistry 1, Calculus Based Physics 1, and Calculus II. I have a question as to whether medical schools will even give a damn about a math minor, or whether taking an easier biology minor and for sure getting A's would be better suited for applying to medical school. As of now I'm set to get an A- in all of my classes as a result of some bullshit that came up that ate about two weeks of study time for two weeks near the end of the semester. My GPA is currently a 3.8, but will take a small hit after this semester.

Also, to answer the question about medical startup's, there is a big push by doctor's who are successful trying to go into the business application side of medicine. I won't name names but I am happy to provide some general examples shared with me from some of my family members who work within prominent health verticals(their term not mine)/division's of companies that we are all familiar with.

Note: In most of the medical literature that I've heard talked about at conferences, and heard through firsthand hearsay from those whose job it is to make money off of existing needs in healthcare, the number one problem within hospitals today is alarm fatigue, and it kills many more patients per year than the general public would like to know, and medical practitioners would care to admit.

Example 1: Company A is providing a software and hardware platform that instates an integrated solution to manage nursing overwork and alarm fatigue, that ultimately notifies the CEO of the company and the hospital administrator if a patient's call isn't responded to within 2 minutes. The CEO of the company has a very personal edge to why he's implementing this policy.

Example 2: Company B is providing an integrated solution to battery monitoring throughout hospital's, believe it or not this is also a major contributor to alarm fatigue, and rather than stay current on all battery usage, many times the batteries are simply removed. I have personally been to a clinic in which the staff were overburdened with numerous side difficulties and the maintenance was not managed properly. Long story short I was undergoing a test in which the apparatus which the doctor was going to use for the test had the batteries removed from it, and the lightbulb had been removed. This is another money pit, the only reason these things haven't gained traction yet is the lack of qualified salespeople to reach the roughly 3000 hospitals in america.

To break it down, the company I am basing my information off of has successfully penetrated 2/3rd's of the market with their claims processing software/integrated solutions technology, and they are being solicited as the top dog in this sector. All of their business people generally are from the era from "just before the internet". I mean the folks who are pitching their products to current hospitals were cutting their teeth on integrated solutions when the first credit card transaction machine was used to process a claim in hospitals in the early 90's. These salespeople are so successful, with such a valuable product, it's simply not as profitable (for them) to switch to pitching another product that saves lives. In summary, there is definitely big money in identifying areas of need and getting on the ground with a solution, but the big problem is penetrating the major sectors of hospitals, such as the Ohio Valley Region. Also, roughly 60% of the United States population lives within 6 hours of Atlanta, another huge sector for healthcare. I firmly believe that big changes are coming to healthcare as far as payment processing, and that we will eventually move to a single payer system, but for now there are still significant opportunities to be had in the healthcare industry as a whole.

If you aren't going to work for big pharma, insurance industries, or lobbying, then identifying a key need and providing a competent and relatively easy to implement solution that has research based proven efficacy will be the biggest factor in determining success in my opinion. I'm open to answering any questions, but it is finals week so it may be a while before I can get back to you.

Messages In This Thread