rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Cyprus

Cyprus

Quote: (04-24-2019 09:13 AM)Hazaer Wrote:  

Appreciate the confirmation. Pretty much sums up the situation as go to Cyprus to Party or Settle down with your other half but nothing in between.

I think this was the case 10 years ago, but not so much any more. Things are improving much IMO. I would not say 'nothing in between'.

Note I used to live in the UK and comparing to life there.

For the case of Nicosia, if you factor out the Turkish side, the population is maybe 60K? Its pretty much a town.

Nicosia (excluding the occupied part) is 350 - 400.000 people.

BUT, isn't Nicosia a big student town with several universities?

I don't think you could possibly describe Nicosia as a 'student town'.

There is the University of Cyprus (a proper university) with its campus, and a bunch of bullshit smaller colleges and universities, but I would not describe Nicosia as a 'student town'.

Is it easy to get into a social circle as a foreigner for someone genuinely interest in learning the local culture? I imagine the Language will still be another obstacle, though most locals speak english.
Honestly its not easy. I wouldn't say its impossible, but certainly not easy.

I would 100% describe Cypriots as cliquey people.

@the king, when you say Nikosia has things going on year round, being away from the beach and all, what are you referring to especially in the winter season? Is it more of a family oriented scene?

Believe it or not Nicosia is the only city in Cyprus which is more active in winter, rather than the summer (Noir can confirm this). Actually Nicosia is pretty dead in the summer because people migrate en-mass in coastal areas, to avoid the boiling heat of Nicosia.

From September to March you can do things like:

Limassol Carnival (cannot recommend this enough)

Limassol wine festival (shitty festival BUT free wine and excellent for game),

Winter wonderlands/Christmas markets etc

Numerous bullshit socializing events like like this

go do ski in the mountains

visit malls, nightclubs etc

I am into latin dancing a lot and personally enjoy festivals like this . Maybe you’re into geeky shit and you like stuff like this .

Cyprus is certainly a lot more wild in the summer but I would not say exactly ‘dead’ during winter months.

Note in my opinion if you want to enjoy Cyprus you shouldn't stay in the same city all the time. Travel from Nicosia to Limassol is 50 mins or so, so you shouldn't limit yourself to Nicosia throughout the whole winter.

The King mentions night clubs are good but Noir says that the ratios aren't the best there, so I can only assume its the kind of place to get wasted with friends. I have a hunch that most of the local guys are the kind to get all worked up when it comes to foreigners chatting the girls up, understandable given the ratios.

There are all sorts of clubs, I wouldn’t generalise.

If you go to Agia Napa square, yeah its gonna be a sausage fest where teenagers go to get wasted. In the posh clubs of Limassol, ratio and quality are truly world class (I stand by this comment 100%).

It will be interesting to know how the turkish cypriots are being treated when they are on a night out in the Greek side esp in Nicosia.

Pretty neutral. Only Turkish Cypriots can cross to the free area, Turkish settlers from mainland Turkey cannot cross. Thousands of TCs work in free Nicosia (they cross every day).

Left wingers consider TCs as equal fellow Cypriots, Far-Right strongly dislike them, the average Cypriot is somewhere in-between.

The average Cypriot strongly hates (with a passion) mainland Turkey and Turks.

Messages In This Thread