rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

How do I break my apartment lease?

How do I break my apartment lease?

I'm a Landlord, and since I travel a lot for work in the US, I'm also a tenant.

First, google the tenant/landlord laws of your state about breaking a lease.

Second, if you find a new tenant that is good on paper or if they rent your apt out as soon as you vacate then you are NOT liable for the rent of the remainder of the lease. I don't care what state it is, the landlord cannot get double rent. Period.

Take some pics of your apt, put up a Craigslist ad and get some potential candidates to present to the landlord.

I would let them know you are vacating and remind them that they MUST find a new tenant to replace you. If you present them a list of qualified candidates, then they must show cause why those candidates are not suitable.

Let them come after you for the money. The less money of yours they have, the more motivated they will be to rent it out.

The "nuisance fee" of 2 months rent for breaking the lease even if they re-rent it out right away sounds very illegal. I had a landlord try that shit on me and I got a lawyer. Cost me $150 for him to write a letter, but boy you should see what receiving a well written letter from a lawyer can do to people. No nuisance fee was applied and I got my full deposit back.

Messages In This Thread