rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

El Conquistador breaks free of corporate slavery - heading to the Dominican Republic

El Conquistador breaks free of corporate slavery - heading to the Dominican Republic

After a year in the UK working in a cubicle doing interpreting and translations, I’ve decided to jump ship, burn that ship behind me and move to the Caribbean.

It’s a similar story to this thread http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-32183.html but hopefully this one will have a better ending.

I was done with it.

Having to beg for permission if you need to go to the dentist. People crawling all over each other like crabs in a bucket to get a promotion from $28,000 to $30,000 a year. Do you really think $2000 extra year will be noticeable to your lifestyle? Alpha bitches visiting from head office and strutting around all aloof from the lowly workers. Team meetings playing ‘guess the word I’m drawing’ to foster ‘team bonding’ (I’m not joking). Co-workers so socially awkward that when they see you outside of the office they pretend like they don’t know you. Monthly reviews about minutiae. Cliques in the staff lunch room. Trying to have an interesting life and improve your finances using a flawed model.

I’m done with all of it. I’m taking the leap into entrepreneurship.

I’ve lived in Latin America before but I was always teaching English or doing interpreting/translating. I never had the time freedom, location freedom or income to really enjoy it at the next level.

Now obviously I know that teaching English is very lucrative in South East Asia and the Middle East, but I’ve only taught English in Latin America and Western Europe. It does not pay well.

Also it doesn’t challenge me anymore. I wouldn’t be learning anything new and pushing myself.

So it's either entrepreneurship or die trying.

I did consider Chang Mai and Bankok as options because I could meet other digital entrepreneurs there but with my Spanish and big booty fetish, I plumped for the DR.

I’ve got around 2 months worth of savings to live off and then my long-term, meant-for-retirement savings that hopefully I won’t have to dip in to.

Hopefully I won’t be back in the US or the UK in three months with my tail between my legs looking for a job.

Even if I do, I’ll just regroup, get another 9-5, try a different idea and make another break for freedom.

I’m fully aware that being a digital nomad, living abroad and even entrepreneurship is not the ‘panecea’ that many people think it is. Moving to a third world country will not fix your life and be a long-term option.

But I’m not doing a round-the-world ‘gap year’ or a year on the JET program in Japan before heading back home to decide what I want to do long-term.

I view this move as a career shift more than anything. I won’t stay in the DR but entrepreneurship is something I want to do long-term. Creating stuff and working with other driven people who are unemployable just excites me.

Thanks to Roosh, Germanico, Nacimiento, Lothario for their advice and support with the business stuff.

Props to Kavakid, Pitt, Carribean Soul and Rover and for answering specific DR questions.

Learn Spanish Game Latinas
http://pickupspanish.com/

Messages In This Thread